Memorial Day Youth Essay Contest
Lohman Community Outreach, a program of Lohman Funeral Homes, has announced this year's annual Memorial Day Youth Essay Contest entry deadline as April 30, 2017.
Open to Volusia County area middle and high school students, all contest entries must be presented in a personal essay format with 500 to 525 words on the true meaning of Memorial Day. Six winners of this contest will share cash prizes totaling $1,600!
Final judging and selection of winners will be made by a committee selected by Lohman Community Outreach. Decision of judges are final. Results will be announced May 29, 2017 at the Essay Contest Awards Ceremony at Daytona Memorial Park. Winning essays will be featured on Lohmans' website, social media pages, and other related print and electronic media.
1. Eligibility: Entrants must be middle or high school students enrolled in the Volusia County,FL area School District. Entries from private, charter and home schools will also be accepted.
2. Format: Entries must be presented in the format of a Personal Essay, between 500-525 words, using a double-spaced 12-point font and must include a bibliography (not included in the word count).
3. Topic: “The True Meaning of Memorial Day”. Students are encouraged to discuss the essay theme with teachers, parents and friends. The essay should be positive and clearly focused on the theme. Teachers and parents may check essays, but the content of the essay must be that of the student.
4. Research: Research is essential in creating a quality essay. Please cite library resources, Web URLs with access dates, and personal interviews.
5. Bibliography: The bibliography must cite at least two references. Entries that do not include a bibliography will be disqualified.
6. Essay Entries: Must be submitted and received between April 1 and April 30, 2017. Entries cannot be acknowledged or returned, and they become the property of Lohman Funeral Homes. Essays should be mailed to: Lohman Funeral Home Ormond, 733 W. Granada Blvd, Ormond Beach, FL 32174. Entries must be accompanied by a 3x5 index card, attached but not stapled to essay containing the following information: contestant’s name, address, phone number, student ID number, and name of parent/guardian who will accompany contestant at the May 30, 2016 Essay Contest Awards Ceremony.
7. Evaluation Process: Winning essays will be selected on the following basis:
>25 points—Originality and creativity
>25 points—Compliance with the assigned topic
>20 points—Factual accuracy
>15 points—Grammar and organization of content
>15 points—Scope of research
8. Awards: $500 will be awarded to one each middle and high school first place winner; $200 will be awarded to one each first place runner-up at both middle and high school levels and $100 will be awarded to one each second place runner-up in both middle and high school levels. Each winner and his/her parent/guardian must be present to receive their prize.
Our 2016 Youth Essay Contest Winners:
The winners of Lohman's inaugural Youth Essay Contest were recognized during the annual Memorial Day Remembrance on May 30, 2016 at Daytona Memorial Park. All Volusia County area middle and high school students were invited to participate, and submissions were accepted at the funeral from through the entire month of April. The contest's purpose was to inspire youths in our community to learn more about this important holiday.
Throughout the course of the year, Lohman Community Outreach hosts free workshops, seminars, and remembrance events intended to enhance the well-being and overall health of the Volusia/Flagler community. All of our Community Outreach events are free of charge and open to all, regardless if they have been served by our company.